heather [at] arl.org
Heather Joseph has served as the Executive Director of the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) since 2005. In that capacity, she works to support broadening access to the results of scholarly research through enabling open access publishing, archiving and policies on a local, national and international level.
Ms. Joseph is also the convener of the Alliance for Taxpayer Access, a coalition of universities, libraries, patients advocacy groups, consumer groups, and student organizations who work to ensure that results of publicly funded research are openly accessible to the public. The group has been a leading voice on U.S. open access legislation, including landmark policy issued by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Prior to coming to SPARC, she spent 15 years as a publisher in both commercial and not-for-profit publishing organizations. She served as the publishing director at the American Society for Cell Biology, which became the first journal to commit its full content to the NIH’s pioneering open repository, PubMed Central, and subsequently served on the National Advisory Committee for the project.
Ms. Joseph serves on the Board of Directors of numerous not-for-profit organizations, and recently completed a term as the elected President of the Society for Scholarly Publishing. She is a frequent speaker and writer on scholarly communications in general, and on open access in particular.
- Joseph, Heather. Open Access: The Current Landscape and Future Direction of Scholarly Communication (October 2010) [Presentation in PDF format - 12.4MB]
- Joseph, Heather. Emerging Open Data Policies in the U.S. - An Overview (July 2010) [Presentation in PDF format - 3.8MB]
- Joseph, Heather. Open Access, Open Scholarship - Open Future (March 2010) [Presentation in PDF format - 9.2MB]
- Joseph, Heather. Open Access: The "New Normal?" (2009) [Presentation in PDF format - 4.1MB]
- Joseph, Heather. SPARC and the NIH Public Access Policy: From Advocacy to Implementation. (2008) [Presentation in PDF format - 716KB]
- Joseph, Heather. SPARC and Open Access: Enabling Access, Enabling Scholarship. (2008) [Presentation in PDF format - 1.8MB]
- Joseph, Heather. From Advocacy to Implementation: The NIH Public Access Policy and Its Impact. Vol. 48(2) 2008 pps. 207-217. The Journal of Library Administration.
- Page, Mary and Bonnie Parks. Serial Conversations: An Interview with Heather Joseph. Vol. 34, No. 2, June 2008 pp. 154-157. Serials Review.
- Joseph, Heather. A Question of Access - Evolving Policies and Practices. Vol. 48, No. 1, 2008,
pp. 95-106. Haworth Press.
- English, Ray and Heather Joseph. C&RL News, Vol. 69, No. 2 (February 2008).
- Joseph, Heather. A Question of Access - Evolving Policies and Practices. Haworth Press. (May 2007).
- Joseph, Heather. Libraries and the Academy, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 1-5. Johns Hopkins University Press. (January 2007).
- Joseph, Heather. C&RL News, Vol. 67, No. 2 (February 2006).
- Joseph, Heather. SPARC Futures. UBC Library and SLAIS Distinguished Lecture. (February 2006) [Presentation in PDF format - 872KB]
- Joseph, Heather. Return to Tempe II: Scholarly Communication and the Future of Research Libraries. GWLA Provost Meeting, Tempe, AZ (February 2006) [Presentation in PDF format - 416KB]
- Joseph, Heather. Open Access and Institutional Repositories. eIFL General Assembly 2005 (Vilnius, Lithuania). (October 2005) [Presentation in PDF format - 720KB]
- Joseph, Heather. The Open Access Movement: Initiatives. 9th World Congress on Health Information and Libraries, International Seminar on Open Access for Developing Countries (Salvador, Brazil). (September 2005) [Presentation in PDF format - 740K]
View SPARC Publications for a complete list of presentations, papers, guides, articles, and podcasts from SPARC.