SPARC enews archives are online at http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/enews
1. News from SPARC and the Alliance for Taxpayer Access
2. SPARC Partner News
Please see the SPARC Web site for a complete list of news from SPARC partners.
Join the movement
toward opening access to research. Join SPARC!
SPARC has created successful, proven programs that provide the opportunity for member libraries to actively engage on the local, national and international levels and ensure that they have a leading role in determining how the system of scholarly communication continues to evolve in the digital age.
3. Industry Roundup
For the latest industry news, please consult the monthly SPARC Open Access Newsletter
, by Peter Suber. This month's edition features:
- Unanimous faculty votes
- Important developments in Open Data
- New books, studies, software, awards, and more
4. Resources for Authors
Complete the SPARC Author Addendum Online
Enter basic information about your article and generate a printable addendum to your publishing agreement in one easy step. Produced by Science Commons, the Scholar's Copyright Addendum Engine features the SPARC Author Addendum.
5. Resources for Publishers
Raym Crow will be participating in two panels on ebooks, financial sustainability, and academic libraries at the Association of American University Presses
meeting, June 17 - 20 in Salt Lake City. The theme of this year's AAUP meeting is "Toward a Sustainable Future."
CONTACT: Raym Crow, SPARC Senior Consultant (crow [at] arl [dot] org)
6. SPARC Resources for Students
This month the Right to Research Coalition
will begin the first stage of its year-long project of international expansion focusing on Europe. Also, we're excited to welcome Julia Mortyakova, the immediate past president of the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students, who will be working with us here in DC this summer.
CONTACT: Nick Shockey, SPARC Director of Student Advocacy (nick [at] arl [dot] org)
7. Upcoming events
SAVE THE DATES:
Saturday, June 26
4:00 - 6:00pm
Washington Convention Center, Room 206
Open Access Week
October 18 - 24, 2010
SPARC Digital Repositories Meeting 2010
November 8 - 9, 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
8. Articles of Interest
- Andrew Albanese, A Failure to Communicate, Publishers Weekly, June 14, 2010.
- Gilles J. Frydman, Patient Driven Research: Rich Opportunities and Real Risks, Phoenix Rising, June 12, 2010.
- John Timmer, California libraries gearing up for fight against Nature (Updated), ARS Technica, June 10, 2010.
- Charles D. Eckman and Beth T. Weil, Institutional Open Access Funds: Now is the Time, PLoS Biology, May 25, 2010.
- David Carlson, You deserve access to research, Southern Illinoisan, May 21, 2010.