SPARC enews archives are online at http://www.arl.org/sparc/publications/enews
1. News from SPARC and the Alliance for Taxpayer Access
2. SPARC Partner News
Please see the SPARC Web site for a complete list of news from SPARC partners.
3. Industry Roundup
For the latest industry news, please consult the monthly SPARC Open Access Newsletter
, by Peter Suber. This month's edition features:
- Discovery, rediscovery, and open access. Part 2.
- Important developments in Open Data
- New books, studies, software, awards, and more
4. Authors & Researchers
The Open Access Week Challenge
To kick off Open Access Week 2010, Dr. Philip Bourne has challenged scholars to think beyond free and ready access to the literature – made possible by Open Access – and consider how technology may be deployed to advance research. Accept the challenge and report on how Open Access has changed your ability to conduct research, access literature, or teach.
5. Resources for Publishers
For a resource guide to campus-based publishing, SPARC seeks sample planning and policy documents from existing publishing initiatives. Documents sought include business plans, publishing prospectuses, charters and governance documents, memoranda of understanding for publishers or partnerships, author agreements and instructions, editorial and peer review policies, licensing and copyright policies, metadata standards, technical specifications, etc. Please contact Raym Crow (crow [at] arl [dot] org) with any suggestions or questions.
CONTACT: Raym Crow, SPARC Senior Consultant (crow [at] arl [dot] org)
6. SPARC Resources for Students
CONTACT: Nick Shockey, SPARC Director of Student Advocacy (nick [at] arl [dot] org)
7. Upcoming events
SAVE THE DATES:
Open Access Week
October 18 - 24, 2010
SPARC Digital Repositories Meeting 2010
November 8 - 9, 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
8. Articles of Interest
- Jocelyn Kaiser, “ Free Journals Grow Amid Ongoing Debate”, Science, August 2010.
- Barbara Fister, “ Open Access and the Library’s Missing Mission”, Inside Higher Ed, August 18, 2010.
- Julia Mortyakova, " Public Access Hearing in the U.S. House of Representatives", The Postgraduate Voice, August 2010.
- Gina Kolata, “ Sharing of Data Leads to Progress on Alzheimer’s”, The New York Times, August 12, 2010.